Monday, November 21, 2011

Cranberries, Apples, Polenta and Pizza

Sunday night I was thinking about what my third Meatless Monday would bring. I imagined starting the day with one of the Odwalla protein drinks I wrote about a few posts back. However, Cynthia had other plans. Before I knew what was happening she was off to the kitchen and was busy putting together an "Easy Cranberry and Apple Cake" so that I would have something for breakfast. Yes, I know how lucky I am.

The recipe can be found here Epicurious. She wanted me to make sure to note that she made one small change to the recipe - the addition of 1 tablespoon of Boyajian Orange Oil in addition to the orange juice called for.
Lunch was leftovers, really good leftovers from a dish she had made for a pot luck she had attended a few days before. From another Epicurious recipe, this was "Polenta and Black Bean Casserole". This time, there were two fairly significant changes. The recipe calls for store bought polenta (you know, that tube o'polenta you see in the supermarket). Cyn made hers from scratch, and she also slow cooked the black beans from dried, in place of the canned beans in the recipe.

Sorry, I was so excited to eat it, I forgot to take a picture.

Finally dinner. Sometimes salad and pizza are just the ticket. On this dreary, foggy evening in Northern Virginia, they seemed just right. The arugula greens were enhanced with pear, pomegranate seeds, toasted walnuts, dried cherries and marinated garbanzo beans which had been marinated in olive oil, white balsamic, salt and a little of the pomegranate juice. We dressed it with our homemade balsamic dressing.
The pizza dough was made from a high protein flour for extra crispiness and simply topped with mozzarella and tomato sauce. We finished it with hot pepper flakes, pecorino romano cheese and fresh basil.


Never thought I'd say this, but Monday is starting to be my favorite day of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pea on this, Pea on that

Peas have a reputation.  And it ain't good - starchy and a weird color, very often the color of something a babe has recycled. But in fa...