Skip to main content

Penne alla Vodka - with a couple of twists...

Since I started Meatless Mondays back in early November, I've tried to not take the easier routes (salad, pasta, etc), particularly for dinner. If you been reading along, you've seen that my wonderfully supportive wife has gone out of her way to create some spectacular vegetable dishes over the past six weeks. This week I wanted pasta, one of my favorites to be specific, penne alla vodka. So, there I was at work all day, dreaming about the creamy and satisfying vodka sauce I was going to have for dinner. Well, I got something different and I think it may have been even better!

Before I tell you about the pasta, I should mention that we started out with a traditional insalata tricolore, consisting of arugula, radicchio, endive and a ice size piece of gorganzola in our homemade balsamic vinegar dressing and Mexican squash (also known as pipians) that had been sauteed in olive oil and shallots then browned lightly with butter, bread crumbs and pecorino romano cheese.


Here is what the pipians look like before cooking. Smaller than a zucchini, and slightly milder in taste. We have several wonderful international markets in our area with all kinds of produce from all over the world.


The vodka sauce was prepared in a (mostly) traditional way. Tomatoes (Muir Glen fire roasted), fresh garlic, crushed red pepper and vodka. Most vodka sauces call for heavy cream to be added. Cynthia decided to lighten the dish by replacing the cream with a dollop of ricotta cheese that had been mixed with roasted garlic and a little pecorino romano and just a little nutmeg Finally, although not standard, some vodka sauces are finished with peas for both color and texture. I actually love what the peas bring to this dish.

In a final twist, we used edamame in place of the peas. The mild taste and slightly crunchier texture of the edamame was a very nice addition to an already tasty dish. A fine chop of fresh basil finished the plate and Viola!


If you're interested in the very traditional penne alla vodka recipe, Epicurious has a good one here.

Ooops, I think I forgot to mention the Layer Cake Primitivo we shared with dinner. It's a very affordable old vine zinfandel that we keep on hand at home at all times.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. To those of you that are following this blog - thank you very much. I hope you are enjoying my ramblings. To those of you that are reading but not yet following, I'd love to have you become an official follower. This is easily done by clicking on the "Join this Site" link near the top right of any of the blog pages and then following the instructions.

Finally, I'd really appreciate any comments you have to offer. At the bottom of each post is the word "comments". Just click on it and fire away! Thanks everyone.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

  1. Looks great! I love this dish (at least versions I've had) will have to give it a try. Interesting vegetable, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex ~ This pasta dish looks wonderful! I love traditional vodka sauce, so I am anxious to give this one a try with your twists! Thanks so much for the nice feedback on my pasta post as well! Have a super day!
    Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Val. This version is "cleaner", if you know what I mean. I love traditional vodka sauce also, but this one is somehow lighter. When you make it, let me know how it turns out.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oven Roasting Fresh Tomatoes for Pasta Sauce

A while back I wrote a post about using the preserved tomato sauce from 2008 that we still had in our pantry. It was the last jar of what was the best tomato crop we have grown -- to date. This weekend we picked and roasted the first batch from this year's garden with high hopes that we could match the richness of flavor from that magical year.

I wanted to share the process, especially since it's so simple, at least up to the canning, which I won't cover here. Those of you that can know it's not really hard, just a little time consuming.

The first step is pretty obvious, get yourself some tomatoes. We like to grow our own, but you can also buy them from a farm or farm market. Here's a little tip if you decide to buy -- offer to buy the "seconds", you know, the less than perfect tomatoes that everyone else has passed on. They can have blemishes, partial spoilage and even the occasionally bug hole. Don't worry, you're going to cut away any bad par…

2008 was a very good year....

...for tomatoes in Newburgh, NY. That's where we lived then and where we grew, roasted and canned tomato sauce. We actually did that every year but there was something magical about the quart mason jars full of that 2008 vintage. Last night, as part of Meatless Monday dinner, we opened the last one.  Nearly 4 year old tomato sauce you say? Isn't that, um, dangerous? Not at all if the jars are initially prepared correctly, the canning process is carried out properly and the seal remains intact. It was both exciting and a little sad to crack open that seal, but the finished meal made it all worth it. Cynthia's original recipe was a perfect use for that special vintage.


Herbed Crepes with Ricotta, Spinach and Chard Filling
Ingredients (crepes) 1 cup AP flour1 cup + 2-4 tbsp liquid of your choice, could be stock, milk, beer, water or any combination thereof - I used 1 cup Better than Bouillon No Chicken and 3 tablespoons of Duck Rabbit Milk Stout beer3 large eggs2 tbsp unsalted q…

Authentic Unbeatable Swedish Meatballs!

Think Ikea, But 100 Times Better
A Guest Post by Anneli from Delicieux
I am delighted to be back here on A Reluctant Foodie doing another guest post for Al. Our last challenge (Stuffed Peppers) was such fun that we decided to do it again and this time I suggested 'Balls"!

'Balls' was a fun choice as it gives such a large scope for experimenting - meatballs, fish balls, rice balls, chocolate balls, ice cream balls...the possibilities are endless. Not to mention the childishness of repeatedly writing 'balls'!! (and yes, I'm 36, not 3!)

In fact, I had no trouble at all deciding which 'balls' I was going to make, it was inevitable. I am half Swedish and I was brought up in a house where certain Swedish foods were regulars at our table. I was aware of Ikea and their meatballs before the rest of the world began their love affair with them.

My Mormor (Grandma) used to make them fresh and serve them with dollops of sweet lingon berry sauce, boiled potatoes …